“Adega dos Canários”, an old popular tavern located in Cais do Sodré, Lisbon, was founded in 1933 by a Galician family to which it belonged until 2012, the year it was acquired by an Italian family.
Famous for its snacks and people who gathered there, the dismal space had long been disfugured by several interventions that tried unsuccessfully to ensure the increasingly demanding requirements of food safety and hygiene.
Despite the profound changes necessary to provide observance of these conditions, the project seeks to preserve the spirit of Lisbon’s old taverns re-proposing the use of the “lioz abancado” stone, the typical stone of this taverns. The result is a bright and welcoming space of great simplicity.
Design team: TERNULLOMELO ARCHITECTS