History of the company GANDIA BLASCO
The company GANDIA BLASCO, which is nowadays known for its outdoor furniture line, was born in 1941 as a family business, manufacturing blankets. The activities of the company were developed on an industrial level, with an intensive production during the Spanish post-war period, essentially aimed at the army and hospitals.
The company is located in Ontinyent (Valencia), a town that had 13,000 inhabitants in those times. It was an area with a large expansion of the textile branch, under the influence of Alcoi and nerve centre of the Vall de Albaida region. For almost 40 years and under the management of José Gandía-Blasco (father of José Antonio, current president of the company), the activity did not change, and it enjoyed considerable success. It was the peak of its success, and it had more than 100 employees, all of them coming from families of the surrounding towns.
In the mid-1980s the blanket branch began to give signs of fatigue, mainly due to the strong competition coming from the international markets that produced at lower costs and with higher quality. The company was forced to make a strategic turn to overcome the situation.
José A. Gandía-Blasco Canales took on more responsibilities in the company, and saw the need for a change. His arrival meant a point of inflection. Under the premise of modernising the company, both as regards the brand and the products offered, José A. got in touch with the designers Marisa Gallén and Sandra Figuerola from the design studio La Nave in Valencia. They designed the current logo of the company: a cute, stylized kitten, an animal that looks for comfort at home. The involvement of Gallén and Figuerola was also extended to the design of carpets. The first collections recovered the use of the old looms with a new material derived from cotton, and the result of countless experiments. New, modern products were created, reversible, with colourful ..